Help SOS end poverty & ensure children’s basic needs and rights
Get Involved in an SOS Campaign
|SOS Event with Goal TV, Pelé, Kelsey Lemon and Craig ForestSOS Archives|
One of the ways in which you can help poor countries meet the MDGs is to get involved with SOS Children’s Villages. There are many ways to do this, depending on who you are and what you want to give. You can sponsor a child or village, donate as an individual or corporation or foundation, volunteer with us, or raise money through events and campaigns of your own.
You don’t have to volunteer in a foreign country to make a difference. Through your own advocacy work you can spread awareness about global poverty and the MDGs. It’s not as hard as you might think to get people interested and to teach them to care about this issue. Here are a few pointers:
Get the Information Out There
- You can create your own information sheets, cards, brochures or flyers and post them for public access in your school, community center, or work (just make sure you check with the person in charge first).
- You can also create or participate in discussion groups or online chat boards to discuss the MDGs and how they affect your community.
- Write an article for the school or local newspaper. Or, you could publish any artwork or written pieces online.
Let the Right People Know You Care
- Governments made a commitment to alleviate poverty by 2015. Let them know that they must hold to their promises by writing to your Member of Parliament. Contact information can be found on government websites.
Get People Involved
- You can make raising awareness or fundraising part of the plan for any clubs you are in or teams you play on. Getting involved in Model UN and student or community councils is a great starting place too. You can even go a step further and gather some people together to start a club dedicated to realizing the MDGs yourself. Don’t be afraid to reach out to other theatre clubs, art groups, music groups, political groups or religious communities. Everyone usually has something unique to offer. It is a great way to come up with new and fresh ideas!
Hold an Event Fundraiser
- Hosting an event with an entrance fee or donation box is a great way to engage people in a social activity and discuss the MDGs. Donating to organizations such as SOS, World Vision, Oxfam, UNICEF, and Save the Children are all excellent ways of contributing and raising awareness in your own community.
For information on how to get started, please contact us